Friday, August 12, 2011

First of the bookmarks

So after getting frustrated with the lack of correctly aligned outcomes the first 100 times I tried printing and cutting the bookmarks, I finally tried it again -- this time with success!

For some strange reason, the printer would print the Silhouette's registration marks perfectly on regular computer paper, but it would print them off of the page on nice photo cardstock (with the same print settings). I probably wasted 20+ pieces of that photo paper trying to get it to align right. So I finally decided to place the paper above the line on the cutting mat and it worked! I sent the file to the Silhouette and let the cutting begin!
















I attempted to laminate the paper with my Xyron 900 before putting it in the Silhouette, but the laminate wouldn't stick to the cutting mat, which resulted in a really messed up cut and another wasted piece of expensive photo paper. So instead, I let the Silhouette do it's thing, peeled the bookmarks off of the mat, and put them through the Xyron as individual pieces. I suppose it saves me a but more laminate, so there's a plus!

 














Once they were laminated, I cut them with scissors (because it's simply a matter of cutting against the sides of the paper) and prettied them up with my rounded corner hole puncher. Seriously, if you don't have one of these, I suggest you invest in the $8 to get one. I love the thing. And it's blue! :D
















Next was making the tassel, which was relatively easy thanks to this awesome video I found on YouTube -- making a tassel. I base the colors of the tassel off of the colors that are displayed on the bookmarks. In this case, Kailey and Bella are both Bichons, which happen to be white. However, they always wear red and blue bows to help tell them apart and they also sport a bit of brown/tan on their ears -- so that's where I got the colors from.
















And there you have it! My first two bookmarks finally complete. My bags should be arriving in a few days, so I can't wait to show these off all packaged and pretty!





No comments:

Post a Comment